Friday 12 January 2007

My Story, Part VII

Bill Oddie's mother was committed to a mental hospital for most of his childhood. He only had dim recollections of exactly what happened to her, which were filled in by family and friends during the course of the programme. His story can be read in outline here.

It was a sad and moving programme, but what really made me sit up and take note was the fact that Oddie has recently suffered two breakdowns. In counselling, it became apparent that issues with his mother were likely to be a contributory factor, having lain dormant for some years. Part of his motivation to make the programme was to deal with those issues.

Well, what about me? Admittedly, I had suffered no trauma when young concerning my father. The fact it was upsetting me so much now gave me pause, though. Was I heading for a breakdown too?

Despite having all the reasons in the world to have brought the matter up with my mother - she and I were watching it, and it could have been such a good way in to the whole issue - I didn't.

No comments: