Wednesday 13 December 2006

My Story Pt II

Starting school seemed to prompt my mother into saying, "If anyone asks you about your dad, tell them that he's a policeman and works away a lot." It hadn't even occurred to me that it might be a problem.

Not having a father around was unusual in early '70s working-class northern Britain, and I suppose I was aware of that. Then again, I didn't see it as a problem, and neither did anyone else I knew at school. At the same time, I didn't know anyone who seemed to be in that position themselves, except for one girl. She lived in a rather grand house with a single mum. I was under the impression she was unmarried too, though I have no idea what had happened to the bloke.

I think on one occasion I used the "copper" cover-up line, though I felt it was unnecessary at the time. I was saying it to please my mother, really.

Besides, I did not miss having a father at all, at least not consciously. However, my first male teacher at primary school did have quite an effect on me.

Mr Shenley had a beard, attempted to teach me the most awful copperplate-style handwriting, and was a laugh. He was keen on putting on productions and persuaded me to appear in Joan Aiken's Winterthing as Jakin. I thought he was great, even when he forced us into doing Scottish country dancing to Jimmy Shand LPs.

In retrospect, he was probably my first crack at finding a father figure. He certainly was, apart from family, the first man I ever got to know in any meaningful way.

No comments: